POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : The Harcore Povrayer Test : Re: The Harcore Povrayer Test Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:27:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Harcore Povrayer Test
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 31 Jan 2002 15:10:01
Message: <3C59A485.39D4EB53@gmx.de>
Warp wrote:

>   Some years ago I made a "Hardcore Povrayer Test" just for fun. Here it is
> again, with small updates.
>
>   For each statement which you feel is true in your case (be sincere), take
> one point. The number of points you get is your score. The maximum number
> of points is 65.
>   (My personal score is "only" 37, so it *is* a tough test.)

30, but with some questions i had doubts about the answer (and then
answered 'no').

A lot of questions are not very good, i picked out a few of them:

> * You never include the povray include libraries (like colors.inc) because
>   they slow parsing, but always define your colors, textures, etc by
>   yourself.

This is total crap of course, esp. with Povray 3.5

> * You only use the png format when working with povray.

Why does this qualify for a hardcore Pover?

> * You have made a modeller for povray.

Can you define 'modeller' please?

> * You know BOTH reasons why a mesh can't be used in CSG.

What is the second one?

I also have some suggestions:

* You have written isosurface functions by hand with more than X
characters (for 'X' use a reasonable value, for example 2000)

* You know the parameters of every internal function of Povray 3.5
(functions.inc) without looking it up. (that's a really hard one, maybe
just knowing every function is enough...)

* Your longest render was more than X days (X=5, 10, 20 or more)

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>